My Blog List

Saturday 19 November 2011

Thing 20 - The Library Roots of A 'Shy' Librarian

I’ve expanded my blog entry (Thing 10) and posted the link on The Library Routes Project wiki. Sharing my own personal/professional journey has enabled me to reflect on why I entered the profession, what I love about it, and how I could make more impact in terms of my personal contribution.

I’m going to wade into the debate on ‘stereotypes’ in the LIS profession. This is my opinion, for what it's worth.

Shy adj. not at ease in company; cautious or wary (Collins Gem English Dictionary, New Edition, 1992)

Modest adj. not vain or boastful; shy; (Collins Gem English Dictionary, New Edition, 1992)

Because a person is ‘shy’ doesn’t make them a ‘lightweight’ or leave our profession open to ridicule. Furthermore, being ‘shy’ about social media or even downright sceptical about it, doesn’t mean you are a dusty throwback. There is room in the LIS profession for all types of people and as the saying goes: “It takes all sorts”. The cool quirkiness of many CPD23 blogs is evidence of this.

As my story shows: you can be quiet…even ‘shy’.. and still flourish as a modern librarian. Here is another insight about shy people: blowing our own trumpet does not come naturally to us! We just need to improve our people skills and not hide our light under the proverbial ‘bushel’.

No comments:

Post a Comment