My Blog List

Sunday 6 November 2011

Thing 16 - Advocacy: A View From The Ground

Working in a public library makes me keenly aware of this issue. Every local authority is experiencing cutbacks to its library services and library closures/campaigns are a constant theme in the local and national news. I love my job and have always valued the public library service and so, of course, I will stand up for what we do.

I’m an advocate for public libraries because I observe that they still have value and relevance in our modern world. Day to day, I deal with customers who value our services and gain benefit from using them. We assist them by signposting council services, supporting their education and providing a ‘safe’ venue for community events.

My form of advocacy involves me being an active 'salesperson' for our services. To list a few examples:

·         Informing children about our online reference service: a very useful  homework resource!
·         Promoting Bookstart and RhymeTime to new mothers.
·         Guiding a novice user to a free Beginners IT taster session.
·         Telling an au pair about ‘Conversation Café’: a library run event for people learning English.

I keep up-to-date with Voices For The Library  and have blogged/Facebook linked the website. I’m not sure if my advocacy has ever merged with activism, however, I’ve signed and promoted a few library petitions if this counts.

I would hope that I am able to speak up my profession if called on to do so. To be an effective 21st century public librarian requires that you be both a ‘problem solver’ and  an‘ideas person’. In fact, this is surely the case for LIS professionals from all sectors.

On the issue of writing and publishing. I enjoy the whole process of self-reflective writing and practice and even the tricky business of academic writing. Immersing myself in blogging and writing has given me the confidence to pursue this as a future goal.



No comments:

Post a Comment