My Blog List

Thursday 3 November 2011

Thing 15 - Attending Events: Get With The Programme!

I've never attended a LIS conference before, but was interested to read Jo Alcock's tips for making the most of the conference experience. I'm aware of the annual LILAC and Umbrella conferences and realise how important these are for sharing professional knowledge and best practice. One of my colleagues attended Umbrella 2011 and reported that it was a great opportunity for networking with LIS professionals from different sectors.

I am a Skills For Life champion and am passionate about information literacy. Attending a conference such as LILAC would be great opportunity to meet like-minded librarians and an gain an international, cross-sector perspective on information literacy education. I aim to draw up a list of the costs/benefits to both me and my employer of me attending a conference. There are many cost implications here!

I won't be organising or presenting at an event just yet: what a daunting prospect! I feel I should focus on further building up my skills and expeiences and most importantly: how to articulate my ideas and experiences to make them interesting and relevant to viewers and listeners.

No comments:

Post a Comment