My Blog List

Sunday 13 November 2011

Thing 17: The Prezi Surprise

Prezi

Snazzy, jazzy, whizzy Prezi. The perfect medium to capture our ever shrinking attention span! Here are my thoughts on using Prezi and Slideshare and how I have or will integrate them into my professional practice.

The top tips on how to use Prezi as a teaching aid were very informative.
Adam Somlai-Fischer's guide (How To Create A Great Prezi) describes the medium as very ‘iterative’, i.e. you can pan back to reiterate key statements and ideas.   

This week's thing presented me with a hands on, creative challenge. However, on reflection, I would say that ‘challenge’ rather than ‘creative’ was the operative word!  I’ll definitely need to invest more time and effort in order to create an effective Prezi. I don’t give presentations as part of my job and lack practice. However, by mastering the basics of Prezi, I could utilise it in a number of contexts. Producing training notes/handouts for colleagues could be one such use.

I practised using the Prezi tools and was able to produce some very basic slides. I consider it to be a work in progress, and include the link as evidence only:
http://prezi.com/dsmmxaaarnyy/cpd-and-me/

I agree with Adam Somlai-Fischer’s (2011) observations: its common for a first Prezi attempt to appear ‘flat’ and not unlike your Powerpoint slides. This was certainly the case with mine! I haven’t got to grips with using the frames and adjusting the layout. However, importing links and images was very straightforward. I’ll be looking at few more Prezis for inspiration and referring back to the tutorials.

As a final reflection, I don’t agree with the statement that ‘the medium is the message’. The clarity and intelligence of the message is equally important. For this reason, its worth reiterating that the content and delivery of a presentation will always carry it. Otherwise, we’re in danger of succumbing to style over substance.

Slideshare

I was already using Slideshare as a way of maintaining current awareness and generating ideas. I have emailed/shared some useful Slideshare presentations for reference purposes. However, I won’t be using Slideshare to upload or disseminate any of my own work. As this blog post shows: I have yet to develop the necessary skills.


Somlai-Fischer, A. 'How To Create a Great Prezi'  2011,  Available at: http: //prezi.com/recyyolzxm3e/how-to-create-a-great-prezi/ [Accessed 5/11/11]

No comments:

Post a Comment